MENTAL HEALTH APPS
Mobile apps for your iPhone can be very helpful in tracking emotions, moods and thoughts between counselling sessions, providing helpful material to work with and helping you to identify patterns and triggers. They can also help you to soothe your emotions and can even help you to get to sleep!
The following Apps are completely FREE so click away......
- Breathe2Relax – a portable stress management tool, which provides detailed information on the effects of stress on the body and instructions and practice exercises to help users learn the stress management skill called diaphragmatic breathing. Breathing exercises have been documented to decrease the body’s ‘fight / flight’ response and help with mood stabilisation, anger control and anxiety management.
- Sleep PillowSounds: White noise machine lite – Sleep Pillow claims to provide “an advanced set of high quality ambient sounds, premixed for perfect sleep enhancement. The sounds are recorded and enhanced to relax and make you sleep. They isolate, create a relaxed environment and put you into a cyclical sleep pattern. The way these sounds are created will induce sleep even for difficult sleepers or in the noisiest environments.”
- Panic? – This app provides videos describing what happens in your body when you feel nervous and anxious, and what you can do to change this. It also includes audio tips for dealing with panic attacks.
- Mood tracker Moodlytics – Described as a “Companion for Happiness”, Moodlytics is a graphical mood tracker app, which allows you to log, track and analyse your moods. It helps raise your awareness of how different moods are related to different people and circumstances, helping you to set goals for happiness.
- PTSD Coach – PTSD Coach was originally designed for Veterans and military Service Members who have, or may have, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD). Tools range from relaxation skills and positive self-talk to anger management and other common self-help strategies. Users can customize tools based on their preferences and can integrate their own contacts, photos, and music.
- Positive Activity Jackpot A unique augmented reality tool that uses the functionality of a smartphone in an innovative way. Combines a professional behavioural health therapy for depression called pleasant event scheduling(PES) with activities available in the user’s location, mapped with GPS. For Android only
- Take a Break! Guided Meditations for Stress Relief From the excellent developers of relaxation apps at meditation oasis comes this free app to quickly recharge. Listen to a seven-minute Work Break or 13-minute Stress Relief recording with or without music or nature sounds. iPhone or Android.